Saturday, July 12, 2008

Just Surrender- Stronger Now EP



It hasn't even been a year yet since Just Surrender released We're In Like Sin. Quite frankly, I found that album a huge let down compared to If These Streets Could Talk. The release contained too much pop; unlike the sound Just Surrender established in previous works. So I was pleasantly surprised to see them coming out with a new EP, Stronger Now.

Strong Now contains four songs. Two new tracks, an acoustic, and a remix. The EP leads with the self titled track "Stronger Now." Hopefully, this is an indication to what direction Just Surrender takes for the future. Many can say the best trait Just Surrender carries is how they have two polished singers. Jason Maffucci and Dan Simons might be one of the best co-singers in music right now. Such as in the track "Crazy"; both Maffucci and Simons bounce back and fourth with the lyric "You've got me going crazy, crazy, crazy." The band has seemed also to bring back the old sound by the return of former guitarist Andrew Meunier. One can hear old sounds to this new EP.

The album tends to mellow out with the acoustic rendition of "I Can Barely Breathe." It really showcases the talents of the singers in this band as well as their guitar work. Just Surrender decided they needed to do a remix of a song that wasn't that good in the beginning. "I Said It Before's" remix is terrible. I mean, you can listen to it. But, do I really need to listen to DDR or dance pop music? I came to listen to Poughkeepsie's finest band. Just a fun track they added.

Overall, Stronger Now really opens my ears again. I practically wrote off on this band with their last release; but I am excited to see what happens in the future with this band. With such tours as Warped Tour and touring nationally, Just Surrender have a very short path to follow to success.

Score: 76%
Myspace
Buy at Warped Tour

No comments: