Sunday, January 31, 2010

TTMYL: 1/31/10: The SinglEP


The first installment of the Sunday 'SinglEP'. The name of the EP isn't so creative, but it represents what songs over took my ear..aka being single. Below each song you'll find an explanation and what not.

Tracklist:

1. Charles Hamilton- Hockey Kitty (Off of the upcoming mixtape The Binge Vol. 3: Charles Hamilton's Last Mixtape)

One of the weirdest mc's in the game today. Charles Hamilton has made his comeback and his goodbye? In December, CH released Normalcy (which is a personal favorite of mine). When it looked like Charles was back and ready to tear, he releases Hockey Kitty off of his "last mixtape". In a recent UStream showing, Hamilton told his fans that he would still be in the music game but would be exploring other elements of music. Why? I'm not too sure. Hamilton goes over Jay Z's 'Thank You'.

2. Kyle Lucas- ThisLuv (Off of the upcoming mixtape It's Always Sunny in Marietta)

Back when I used to write for The Daily Chorus, we helped develop bands into what would benefit them the best. One of those bands was Georgia's Vonnequtt. The lead singer is Kyle Lucas, who's been rapping and sorts for years. He's one of my personal favorite underground mc's in the game right now and in ThisLuv, he goes over Maroon 5's beat with the help of his band mates. No thoughts on this song, just straight fire.

3. Big Sean- Super Dupa Lemonade (Off of the upcoming mixtape Finally Famous Vol. 3)

I get to see Big Sean this month (February) with his boy Mike Posner. Big Sean goes over Gucci Mane's beat right here and I've been listening to this song for three days straight. With over 30 plays already, you can tell this song is where it's at. He even gives Darko Milicek a shoutout. C'mon now.

4. Drake- Zone

When I first heard the track, I was disgusted. However, it's grown on me for a while. Becoming a quick favorite.

5. Jarrod Gorbel- Ten Years Older (From JG's Daytrotter Session)

One of my favorite websites works with one of my favorite solo artists. Former Honorary Title frontman Jarrod Gorbel recently visited the Daytrotter studios to record the famous 'Daytrotter Session'. Gorbel plays songs from his new EP as well as an Honorary Title b-side. Worth the download. Listen to the track and tell me you understand the message.

6. Emilio Rojas- Tic Toc (Off of the mixtape The Natural)

A guy I forgot on my top mixtapes list. Emilio Rojas dropped one of the more surprising mixtapes of 2009 with The Natural. He hooked up with DJ Green Lantern to bring you this one. The track Tic Toc talks about a relationship, with the title explaining what's happening.

'Tic toc time is slipping away'


download: sendspace

No comments: